Well folks, Wirrina 2021 is rapidly drawing closer! We have an exciting line-up of performances, workshops and led sessions awaiting you. Read about the Performers. Check out the Program. The black-board stage will be up and running—so bring along your instruments and voices. If you are yet to book your tickets, it’s time to get onto it. Go to the tickets page.
Friday night special event!
A very special event will be happening during the Friday night concert. It involves a certain Andrew Clermont, who is well known to Festival patrons. (He’s that tall fella with the hats who plays everything brilliantly and is our sound engineer on the main stage!) Be sure to be there to witness and applaud.
There will be a few changes to the set up of the Festival this year. This is in part due to the need to keep the Festival a largely outdoors event—due to the COVID situation. Expect it to look a little different, but there will still be all the features of past festivals that you are accustomed to; excellent performances on the main stage, the black-board tent for all of we ‘walk-ups’ to play, jamming and sessions tent (all day and maybe all night!), workshops led by highly skilled musicians and other performers, great coffee, food, and drinks at the kiosk, led sessions, and performer’s CD sales. This will all happen at the Wirrina Cove Holiday Park. We are eternally grateful to our hosts, Holly and Ben.
We can run the Festival this year by meeting certain conditions. The main one, as mentioned above, is that we need to keep the event outdoors. So, three sides of the main stage marquee will be rolled up; the same with other tents and shelters. This is considered ‘outside’ for COVID purposes.
We ask everyone to be mindful of your responsibility to protect yourselves and others by:
- wearing face masks in all indoor areas—kiosk, toilets, wool-shed
- maintaining social distancing where possible
- using the hygiene stations
- signing in with the Festival QR code or sign-in sheet at the kiosk when you arrive.
COVID marshals will be on duty from early morning until late at night. Their job is to remind you of the COVID requirements. Please be cooperative and respectful with regard to any directions/reminders they give.
In response to a few queries, yes you can attend the Festival if you are not vaccinated for COVID. We do, however, encourage you to have a COVID test a few days beforehand to reassure yourself and us that you are safe to attend.
If you become unwell with any COVID symptoms (I think we all know what they are by now…) please do not attend the Festival. If you become unwell with any COVID symptoms whilst at the Festival, please go home and get a COVID test. We will reimburse the money for your ticket.
Let’s all enjoy a safe and respectful Festival. Download the Festival COVID requirements.
We have some exciting workshops and sessions planned for the 2021 Festival. These include:
- The South Australian Shanty Choir singing workshops
- Ukulele with John Mansfield—Calypso and Rock ‘n Roll
- The Scottish Fiddle Club
- Irish Traditional Music with Pat Organ & Liam Flynn
- Old Time session with Karina & Nara Demasson
- Community Gospel Singing with Jodie, Emlyn & Matthew
- Beginner Uke with Richard Tonkin
- Banjo with Monz Matsumoto
- Guitar with Andrew Clermont
- Creative Minds with Caz Williams
- How to make a band sound like a band—Crooked Road
- Harmonica with Mij Tanith
- Old time session with Geoff Bridgland & Ashley Turner
- South American Music with Sally Miller & Jesse Hamilton
- Scandi fiddle style & tunes with Ingrid Wangel
- Finding your creativity: Instrument exploration & looping with Tim Bennett
- Vocal techniques with Jodie, Emlyn & Matthew
- Shortcuts to mandolin success with Andrew Clermont
- Double stops for fiddle with Geoff Bridgland
- Recorder with Chris Alway
Bring along your instruments and voices, join in the fun, and pick up some tips!